I’m an Oregon tenant and I don’t want to move out of my home. How can I avoid eviction? What are my Oregon tenant eviction rights?

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

If you are an Oregon tenant who has been given a proper Oregon termination notice but you don’t want to leave, you should talk to your landlord and try to fix the problem. See if you can negotiate to pay your rent a little late this month, or fix the breach of the lease that you have committed. If that doesn’t work, you will have to wait for the landlord to file the eviction action.

When you are served with court papers, they will include a date on which you must go to court. This date is called a first appearance. You must go to court on this date; if you don’t, you will probably lose. At your first appearance, you can ask for a number of things, such as more time to move out, or for a settlement with your landlord. You can also ask for a trial. If you ask for a trial you will have to answer the landlord’s complaint. When you file your answer (usually on the date of your first appearance), you will be given a trial date.

At this point, you may wish to seek the advice of an experienced Oregon evictions lawyer, either to get sound legal advice, help you defend against the eviction, or to advise you as to any rights you may have with respect to the circumstances surrounding the notice received and the forcible entry and detainer action.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption