I’m an Alabama landlord with a difficult tenant. I’ve given the tenant the proper Alabama termination notice, but he still won’t leave. What next? What is the Alabama eviction process

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by Jeffrey Johnson
Insurance Lawyer Jeffrey Johnson

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

If you are an Alabama landlord and you have notified your tenant that you are terminating the lease, your next step is to file an eviction action. You will need to go to your local circuit or district court and file a complaint. The complaint should then be served on your tenant, who will either answer or ignore it. If your tenant ignores it, you can request a default judgment in your favor. If the tenant answers the complaint, then you will both have to go before a judge and argue your sides. If the judge rules in your favor, your tenant can file an appeal within 7 days, but that doesn’t stop you from getting a writ of restitution which will allow the sheriff to remove the tenant from the premises. Only if the tenant posts an appeals bond (which is set by the judge) will the writ of restitution be denied to you. Remember, do not try to remove the tenant yourself. Wait for help from the sheriff, or you may be liable to your tenant for damages.

If at any time you think you are in over your head trying to handle this eviction process personally, you can always seek the counsel of an experienced Alabama evictions attorney.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption