I’m a Virginia tenant and I don’t want to move out of my home. How can I avoid eviction? What are my Virginia tenant eviction rights?

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2020

If you are a tenant who has received a lawful notice, you can do what is requested in the notice, negotiate with your landlord, or fight eviction in court after the process has begun. After you’ve been given notice, you will receive a Summons for Lawful Detainer from the court once the eviction process has started. The summons will detail why you are being evicted and include court information. If the proceedings have reached this point, you may wish to seek the advice of an experienced Virginia evictions lawyer, either to give you sound advice or to help you defend against eviction.