I’m a Pennsylvania tenant and I don’t want to move out of my home. How can I avoid eviction? What are my Pennsylvania tenant eviction rights?

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by Jeffrey Johnson
Insurance Lawyer Jeffrey Johnson

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Other than working out an arrangement with your landlord or fighting the eviction in court, there are few other alternatives available in Pennsylvania after you’ve been served with lawful notice. If you are past due on rent, you may simply pay the rent when it is demanded or at any time before you are actually evicted (removed by a sheriff or constable). If you’ve violated your lease, your landlord may not have to give you the opportunity to correct the violation. After you’ve been given notice, you will receive a summons from the court once the eviction process has begun. The summons may be served in person by a sheriff or constable, by mail, or by posting on the property. You should inform the official serving the summons or otherwise inform the court that you intend to appear (assuming you intend to do so). The summons will require you to appear in court in 7-10 days. If you feel you have been wronged in some way by your landlord, you may be able to file a counterclaim.

At this point, you may wish to seek the advice of an experienced Pennsylvania evictions lawyer, either to pursue your counterclaim or to help you defend against eviction.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption