I’m a Missouri landlord with a difficult tenant. I’ve given the tenant the proper Missouri termination notice, but he still won’t leave. What next? What is the Missouri eviction process?

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

If you have given your tenant the proper notice or demand, your next step is to file suit with your local Circuit Court. The procedure for both unlawful detainer actions and rent and possession actions is largely the same, but you will probably have to fill out different forms, depending on which you are bringing. Once you file a complaint (in the case of an unlawful detainer) or statement (in the case of a suit for rent and possession), the Court will issue a summons to your tenant which will include a hearing date. On that day, you and your tenant will both present your arguments and any evidence supporting your side. The judge will likely decide for one of you that day. If the judge finds for you, you will have to wait 10 days (the time in which the tenant can appeal the ruling), and then you will get a court order to remove the tenant from the premises. Do not remove the tenant yourself, the sheriff will do it. Remember that if at any time you think the eviction proceedings are more than you can handle on your own, you can always find a Missouri evictions attorney.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption