I’m a Minnesota tenant and I don’t want to move out of my home. How can I avoid eviction? What are my Minnesota tenant eviction rights?

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2020

If you are a Minnesota tenant and you have been notified that your landlord is ending your lease, you should first try to fix whatever the problem is. If you have not paid your rent, try to pay it, or at least negotiate with your landlord to work out a deal. If this does not work, you just have to sit back and wait for your landlord to file the unlawful detainer action. When the landlord files the unlawful detainer complaint in the district court, the judge will set a court date. The landlord must have someone serve you with a summons to come to court at least 7 days before the court date. When the court date rolls around, be sure to follow the instructions on the form and go to court. If you do not, you risk losing the case by default. At the hearing, you and your landlord will both be allowed to present your sides of the story.

If the proceedings have reached this point, you may wish to seek the advice of an experienced Minnesota evictions lawyer to help you defend against the eviction or to advise you as to any rights you may have with respect to the circumstances surrounding the notice given and the unlawful detainer action.