I’m a Minnesota landlord with a difficult tenant. I’ve given the tenant the proper Minnesota termination notice, but he still won’t leave. What next? What is the Minnesota eviction process?

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

If you have notified your tenant that their tenancy is over but they still won’t leave, your next step is to file an unlawful detainer action. This is just a fancy way of saying “eviction.” You will have to go to your local district courtand file a complaint. You will receive a summons to serve on your tenant, as well as a court date. Be sure to serve the papers on your tenant at least 7 days before the court date. At court, you will be allowed to present your side of the case, and the tenant will be allowed to present his or her side. The judge will rule for one of you. If you win, the court will issue a “writ of restitution” right away which allows the sheriff to physically remove your tenant from the premises. Remember, you are never allowed to physically remove your tenant yourself. Only the sheriff or one of his or her officers can do so.

If at any time you feel the eviction process is more than you can handle by yourself, remember that you can always consult an experienced Minnesota evictions attorney.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption