I’m a Maryland tenant and I don’t want to move out of my home. How can I avoid eviction? What are my Maryland tenant eviction rights?

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

If you are a Maryland tenant who has been given notice that your lease is being terminated, you should try to negotiate with your landlord. Though the evictions process is not particularly lengthy or complicated, it can be disruptive and you should avoid it if possible. If your landlord is not interested in negotiating, you should try to remedy the reason for your eviction. If you have breached the lease in some way (for example, by getting a pet when pets are not allowed), take immediate steps to fix the breach (e.g. get rid of your dog, pay your rent). Usually, fixing the problem will stop the landlord from evicting you. If, however, you do not think the landlord has reason to evict you, wait for the summons from the court that tells you the hearing date and go argue your case. It is very important that you pay attention to the summons, because if you don’t show up, the judge may enter “default judgment” against you and you will be evicted.

If at any point you feel that you’d like to seek the advice of an experienced Maryland evictions lawyer, this may be a wise choice. A Maryland landlord tenant attorney can help you defend against the eviction and advise you as to any rights you may have with respect to the circumstances surrounding the notice given by your landlord.