I’m a Louisiana tenant and I don’t want to move out of my home. How can I avoid eviction? What are my Louisiana tenant eviction rights?

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

If you are a Louisiana tenant and your landlord has given you a Louisiana termination notice, you should try to negotiate with the landlord. Try to pay your rent or fix the breach of the lease that has caused your landlord to terminate your tenancy. If you do not think you have done anything wrong, you can wait for the landlord to file the formal eviction action, which will give you a chance to tell your side of the story in court. After you have been served with the eviction action, you will have a hearing within three days. Be sure to show up to argue your side. If you don’t, a default judgment might be entered against you. If you lose, you will have to leave your house or apartment within 24 hours.

At this point, you may wish to seek the advice of an experienced Louisiana evictions lawyer, either to give you sound advice, help you defend against the eviction, or to advise you as to any rights you may have with respect to the circumstances surrounding the notice given and the subsequent eviction action.