I’m a Kentucky tenant and I don’t want to move out of my home. How can I avoid eviction? What are my Kentucky tenant eviction rights?

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

If you are a Kentucky tenant and you have been given a Kentucky termination notice by your landlord, you should try to fix your breach. Pay your rent if you’re late, or get rid of the cat you got in violation of the lease, or whatever it is that has caused your landlord to terminate your lease. If you live in an area that has adopted the Uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant act (“URLTA”), your cure will mean that the landlord cannot file for eviction (if you are not covered by URLTA you will have to leave anyway). If you do not think you have done anything wrong, you should try to negotiate with your landlord or just wait for him or her to file a forcible detainer (eviction) action. When the action is filed, you will receive a copy of your landlord’s complaint and a court date. Be sure to show up and argue your case because if you don’t, the court might enter a default judgment against you.

At this point, you may wish to seek the advice of an experienced Kentucky evictions lawyer, either to give you sound advice, help you defend against the eviction, or to advise you as to any rights you may have with respect to the circumstances surrounding the notice given and the forcible detainer action.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption