I’m a California tenant and I don’t want to move out of my home. How can I avoid eviction? What are my California tenant eviction rights?

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

If you are a tenant and have received a notice, you can do what is required in the notice by the deadline given, negotiate with your landlord or do nothing. If you cannot meet the requirements in the notice and do not ultimately reach an agreement with your landlord, you may face eviction. This is called an unlawful detaineraction. If you do all that is required in the notice, the landlord will not be able to file an unlawful detainer action against you. An unlawful detainer action is simply a lawsuit, and you will know of the landlord’s intentions when you receive court papers notifying you that the lawsuit has been filed. You will have a deadline within which to respond to the lawsuit (file and answer). There is a proper way to do this. A simple letter to the court will not suffice.

At this point, you may wish to seek the advice of an experienced California evictions lawyer, either to give you sound advice, help you defend against the eviction, or to advise you as to any rights you may have with respect to the circumstances surrounding the notice and then the unlawful detainer action.