If I was scammed on the internet and the result is thatI owe my bank money, shouldI just pay it or hire an attorney?

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was scammed on the internet and the result is thatI owe my bank money, shouldI just pay it or hire an attorney?

I am 17 years old and over the internet I was scammed out of $2400. I sent them money from a check they sent me after they received the money.I was informed the check was a fake check and the company withdrew the amount and I now owe my bank $2400. Being that I’m 17 I don’t have that much money and now collections have me about 15 days to make a payment plan or court will happen. Will a judge make me pay less if I fight it without a lawyer? Should I just pay it?

Asked on July 15, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Kansas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If you are 17 years old, you are considered a minor and can disaffirm a contract.  You should consider contacting the agency in your state who regulates banks (banking department) and if your bank is regulated by that entity, see if it can help you.  The bank may be required to simply charge it off and not force you to pay.  Secondly, consider informing your state's attorney general about the scam to which you fell victim.  Unfortunately, when something like this looks to good to be true, it probably is too good to be true.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption