Illegal alien used a fake SSN to get married, is this marriage legal?

UPDATED: May 31, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 31, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Illegal alien used a fake SSN to get married, is this marriage legal?

Asked on May 31, 2009 under Family Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

In Georgia, in order to get a marriage license two forms of valid ID must be presented.  In your case at least one of those forms, the social security card was fake.  Thus the license was fraudulently obtained.  It quite possibly invalidated the marriage.  However, the usual rule in these cases is that the marriage is still valid, but criminal sanctions may be applied for fraudulently obtaining a marriage license (although there are seldom any prosecutions for this offense).

This is a very technical issue. You need to speak with an attorney licensed in your area who specializes in matrimonial law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption