If your town water main is on private property who is responsible to pay for the repairs?

UPDATED: Sep 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If your town water main is on private property who is responsible to pay for the repairs?

Our water main is on our neighbor’s property. We have an easement. It says we have the right to enter property of the purpose of maintaining and repairing water line, if necessary, but without obligation to make any repairs nor to contribute to the cost of repairing or maintaining water line.

Asked on September 21, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are wise to have carefully read the terms and scope of your property's easement over another parcel regarding the water line in that the easement's written terms control your obligations as owners of the property receiving the benefit of the water line.

Generally, the person receiving the benefit of an easement has the obligation to maintain and repair it as in your situation for the benefit of your own parcel. If your town's water main is on the same property as the parcel that you have an easement on for the same water line, the town and yourselves would be responsible for the repairs of it, but under the terms of the easement, you do not have the obligation to make the repairs if need be.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption