What can you do if your employer is taking money for health insurance but the premium is not getting paid?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can you do if your employer is taking money for health insurance but the premium is not getting paid?

My insurance policy was started in 03/15 and was cancelled on 04/30. However, my employer was taking money out of my check you have a grace period of 90 days to reinstate it and it after that date when asking the say they are reinstated how I need my medication and can’t get could I sue.

Asked on August 28, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If this was an error or oversight and is corrected, then so long as the policy is reinstated and you are reimbursed for any medical costs you incured from 4/30 to now, which costs you would not have incurred had the policy been in place, then no harm has been done and there is no need to do anything.
If the policy is not reinstated or if you incurred costs which are not reimbursed, you could sue for reimbursement and also a court order requiring policy reinstatement.
If it appears this was deliberate and the employer (or someone at it; e.g. a controller or accounts payable person) is pocketing your money, this is theft and you should contact the police.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption