If you share a cash register with another employee and money comes up missing, what can the charges be?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you share a cash register with another employee and money comes up missing, what can the charges be?

I started at a gas station last year. The girl I always worked with did not like me and one day I was called in and told that I was to share a drawer with her while she did paperwork. I did everything normal like; it was my drawer safe drops, change exchanges, etc. A couple of weeks later, I got called into the office and told a $100 safe drop had came up missing $100 from that day. They asked if I had taken it. I told them no. I would never think about stealing from a job. They kept saying that I did and showed me video. The video shows my back to the camera and my arm moving but you can’t see if it money is going in on mine and the other girls

drops. How they figure it was me as I walked away I stuck my hand in pocket which is a normal for me when i walk. They have had the cops scare my son to the point that I said I did it to get them to stop. I’m now going to court over it and don’t want to be charged with a crime that I didn’t commit. How can I fight this and get it dropped?

Asked on January 24, 2019 under Criminal Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, the video tends to support that you did take the money--at the very least, it on no way supports or exonerates you. What you should do is hire a criminal defense attorney to represent you. If you don't hire an attorney, your best bet is to likely discuss the matter with the prosecutor (such as on the scheduled court day), tell your version, and see if the prosecutor is willing to dismiss or let you plead to a lesser charge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption