If you resigned your job, are you still entitled to be paid for accrued vacation day?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you resigned your job, are you still entitled to be paid for accrued vacation day?

I was wondering if accrued vacation days should be included in my final paycheck. Also, I received a $200 housing credit each month as part of my pay. Am I entitled to 19 days credit for housing allowance?

Asked on July 25, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

1) Your state (Florida) does not require employers to pay out accrued but unused vacation days when an employee resigns. Only if you have a written agreement (e.g. an employment contract or separation agreement) requiring the pay out would you be entitled to this.
2) Simlarly, there is no law requiring them to give you the housing credit for the month you resign--in fact, there is no general right to a housing allowance or credit at all. The company only has to pay  you this if they choose.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption