If I’m a beneficiary in a Will that didn’t go through probate, how do I get a copy if the executor won’t give me one?

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m a beneficiary in a Will that didn’t go through probate, how do I get a copy if the executor won’t give me one?

Is this something I can file by myself through the courts for a fee and, if so, what’s the fee usually called? Or do I need an attorney and, if so, what kind? If it’s about property, which I want to sell afterwards, would a property lawyer be able to handle both?

Asked on June 1, 2015 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

What do you mean it did not go through probate?  Was there any proceeding filed at all in the Probate Court?  If thre was then you needed to object becuase it was filed as if there was no Will.  You need to compel the executor to file a probate proceeding.  I would strongly suggest you seek legal help in a consultation basis at first to determine the status of the estate and how you need to proceed.  If all assets passed via operation of law (like a joint tenancy with rights of survivorship or with a beneficary designation in effect) then there may have been no estate to probate.  So get all the facts straight first.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption