If you have earned vacation time and quit without notice can employer keep money?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you have earned vacation time and quit without notice can employer keep money?

I had 30 hours earned vacation time. I asked for 24 hours and took those days.
While I was on vacation I had decided to quit and did. However I had quit
previously for the same reasons. Employers called me over and over to come back
saying things would change. I came back and absolutely nothing changed. I was
employed for over 4 years there.

Asked on April 12, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your state does not require employers to pay out accrued/earned but unused vacation time when employment ends. An employer can set its own policy about whether to pay out vacation time and, if so, under what circumstances. So your employer could either refuse to ever pay out vacation pay, or could have a policy that you must give sufficient notice to have your days paid out; this would be legal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption