What to do if you have been sexually harrassed or even assaulted in the work place and your employer has not satisfactorly addressed the problem?

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if you have been sexually harrassed or even assaulted in the work place and your employer has not satisfactorly addressed the problem?

Myself and the other 2 woman I share an office feel we have been both verbally harassed, physically touched in inappropriate manners and verbally abused. The most recent incident occurred when a technician slapped one of our dispatchers on the behind in front of a room full of other technicians, as well as supervisors, in front of our surveillance cameras. One supervisor stated that he thought the dispatcher took it as a joke, while the office manager asked her what she did to instigate the technician to do what he did. This is only one of many incidences that have occur ed and the only on video.

Asked on June 2, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Employers are not generally liable for the first or an isolated incident of sexual harassment (assuming there was no prior warning of some kind that it was likely), so long as they take appropriate and reasonable action when it is reported. Howeever, if there is an ongoing pattern of harassment which the employer refuses to address, that failure can make the employer liable for its employees' sexual harassment. From what you write, you and your colleagues may have a claim, and the three of you may wish to either contact the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) or your state's equal/civil rights agency, and/or to speak with a private attorney about possibly bringing a lawsuit. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption