If I was accidentally overpaid, can my employer withhold the amount of the overpayment from my next paycheck without my consent?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was accidentally overpaid, can my employer withhold the amount of the overpayment from my next paycheck without my consent?

I was given a check for my 2 weeks pay about 2 months ago. My employers accountant was told to stop the direct deposit for that check. However the direct deposit still went threw. Fast forward to today. I had asked my employer to check my hours and pay since each check I had received since I started had been at least 2 hours short. In doing so, he came across the over payment from the month before last. Now he’s trying to keep my entire check I’m supposed to receive tomorrow. I have 3 kids and just moved into my own place and am counting on that check. Not to mention they just hired 2 new people behind my back and cut my hours in a third without any notice. What can I do? Is that legal?

Asked on July 31, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless this deduction has been authorized by you and in writing, in PA, an employer cannot make such a deduction from a worker's paycheck. However, while it cannot simply reduce your wages as repayment, you still owe the money. The fact is that this overpayment was mistakenly made. So for you to keep it would constitute "unjust enrichment", something that the law disfavors. Accordingly, you can either voluntarily repay  the amount in question or your employer can sue you in small claims court. Further, unless you have protection under a union agreement or employment contract, you are an "at will" worker, which means that you can (or your hours cut) be dismissed for any reason or reason at all, with or without notice. Therefore, it would be advisable to try and work out a repayment plan with your employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption