If you are on parole and get a parole violation can they add more time to your parole?

UPDATED: May 3, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 3, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you are on parole and get a parole violation can they add more time to your parole?

My original sentence was 7years I did all but 5 months I was arrested for a parole violation with 26 days left? Can they give me more time ? What are the options they could do?

Asked on May 3, 2009 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

First of all you do not specify what the violation was -  a bank robbery or a missed appointment?  I will assume it was somewhat serious because you were arrested for it. 

That being the case your probation could be revoked which would mean that you serve the remainder of your time in jail.  If however the breach was more of a technical one, ie violations that do not involve new criminal charges, you might get off with a warning.  As a practical matter it all depends on your relationship with your PO, the seriousness of the offense you were convicted of, length of probation already served, etc.  In this type of situation many jurisdictions allow probation officers to respond independent of a court hearing. 

However, as I said earlier, since you were arrested this sounds to be more serious.  A court could revoke your parole but not add time to it.   Also, if the violation involves a seperate crime you could be facing penalties for that as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption