What costs will a health insurer cover if you must renovate your home due to a physical handicap?

UPDATED: Jul 17, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 17, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What costs will a health insurer cover if you must renovate your home due to a physical handicap?

My husband and I are handicapped (back surgeries). We need to change our shower and tub and raise sinks. Would our health insurer help with these changes? I drive to physical therapy for water therapy. Would my insurance help if I installed a lap pool? It would be cheaper to make these changes then to relocate.

Asked on July 17, 2010 under Insurance Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

There is no general answer: insurance, including health insurance is a contract. Insurers must pay for anything in the coverage that you have bought (including which was bought for you by your employer, if that's how you have health insurance); on the other hand, they do not need to pay for anything not in the coverage. So to see what you insurer may have to cover, you need to review your policy, and if you have any questions, bring the policy to an attorney to review it with you. Also, depending on your age, income, level of disability, etc., it's not impossible that you may be eligible for disability benefits, SSI, Medicare or Medicaid--when you speak with an attorney, he or she can help you determine if there are any other sources of funding that may assist you. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption