If you are convicted of a crime under a name other then your legal name, is the conviction still upheld?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you are convicted of a crime under a name other then your legal name, is the conviction still upheld?

I was sentenced in court 14 years ago and instead of using my legal name they added a Jr to my name. rt no time in my life have I been a Jr.

Asked on August 23, 2011 Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of the states if this country, the conviction of a person under one assumed name be it a maiden name, alias, or legally changed name is a conviction of that person no matter what. When a person is convicted of a crime, there is the entry of the conviction in the court's docket of that person's name, last known address date of birth and other specifics as to him or her.

In your situation, even though you were convicted and sentenced under a name that you are using presently with the exception that a "jr" is added at its end, you were still convicted of this crime as a matter of law and the prior conviction will nonetheless be upheld.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption