If you are being sued by a hospital, can they take any of your state or federal income tax refunds to pay it off?

UPDATED: May 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you are being sued by a hospital, can they take any of your state or federal income tax refunds to pay it off?

My husband and I are being sued by the hospital, he owes alittle over $7,000. We got in touch with the lawyer before the court date to try and set up a payment plan, the lawyer told us we couldnt pay any less than $200 a month and that at the end of the year they would take half of our income taxes. Can they do that?

Asked on May 29, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you and your husband are being sued for a debt and a judgment is entered against you, the judgment creditor under the laws of all states in this country is entitled to levy upon your bank accounts and all other sources of income including federal and state tax returns to have the judgment owed satisfied.

You should continue trying to get a written agreement entered into with the hospital for a monthly installment payment plan regarding the debt you and your husband owe.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption