After a personis arrested when are they allowed to see the evidence that the police have against them?

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

After a personis arrested when are they allowed to see the evidence that the police have against them?

If you are arrested for forced entry and the cops say that they have a tape, are they required to show it to you if you request to see it?

Asked on January 10, 2011 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

The police would not be the parties to show you the tape.  Generally speaking, if there is enough evidence to bring a case, the matter would be turned over to the prosecuting agency (district attorney, county prosecutor, etc.) that will bring the case to trial.  Every state has a Criminal Practice Act that will allow for discovery and production of the evidence in order to allow a defendant and his or her attorney to put together a defense to the allegation.  Do you have an attorney? Was one appointed for you?  Then speak with him or her and discuss what you think the tape will be and the production of the tape.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption