If you are arrested for a city ordinance violation, will it show up on an employment background check?

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you are arrested for a city ordinance violation, will it show up on an employment background check?

I was arrested a while back for underage drinking. It was settled in traffic court and was not a conviction. Will this show on a background check?

Asked on June 13, 2012 under Criminal Law, Illinois


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It really depends on how thorough of a background check that your employer does.  Many employers are only concerned with misdemeanors and felonies... not traffic court.  However, that doesn't mean they won't know about it.  Employers purchase their background checks from various companies.  Some companies purchase and compile data from the court clerks.  Some gather info from traffic court, while others do not.  Because traffic court is still a court of public record, they could obtain and report the information to a future employer.  Because you were not convicted, the employer should not take adverse action against you, but this is not a guarantee.  So, the best answer to your question is they may or may not see the information about your arrest depending on how diligent of a background search they conduct or pay someone to conduct.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption