If you are arrested and refuse medical attention but still get taken to the hospital who is responsible for the hospital bill?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you are arrested and refuse medical attention but still get taken to the hospital who is responsible for the hospital bill?

my husband was arrested for obstruction w/o violence. He had an anxiety attack after being arrested they took him to the hospital he refused treatment. They then took him to jail. Now the hospital is calling us asking how we are going to pay this.

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Criminal Law, Florida


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I think you really should have a lawyer look into this.  The factual details, how the paperwork is set up, could be very important here, but it's possible that you and your husband won't be responsible for the hospital bill, if he was taken to the hospital while in custody.

If you have the ability to refuse liability, you need to do that from the start, but you need to be right -- have an attorney review all the facts, for advice you can rely on.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption