If we break a lease and move out early can the landlord still try to collect money even after someone else moves in?

UPDATED: Dec 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If we break a lease and move out early can the landlord still try to collect money even after someone else moves in?

Someone moved in the same day.

Asked on December 20, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you terminate your lease earlier than what the written agreement states and move out of the unit, the landlord under all laws in this country is required to mitigate his or her damages by attempting to rent out the unit as soon as possible to some other person. If the new renter's monthly rent is more than yours for the balance of the lease's term that you had, then the landlord has no damages.

If it is less, then the landlord's "damages" are the difference between your monthly rent for the duration of the lease you ended prematurely and what the new tenant will be paying for the same time period.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption