If we are being sued by our neighbor because his son got shot with a BB gun that belongs to my 12 year old, what are the steps we need to follow next?

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If we are being sued by our neighbor because his son got shot with a BB gun that belongs to my 12 year old, what are the steps we need to follow next?

My neighbor’s kid got shot by a BB gun that belongs to my 12 years old son but was shot by another neighborhood kid. The parents of the injured child has contact a lawyer, who has sent us a letter requesting for us to have our homeowner’s insurance agent contact his office. What do I need to do? What happen if the incident didn’t happen in my property? Under the law, can I get a copy of the police report?

Asked on January 12, 2012 under Personal Injury, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You could potentially be liable if you were negligent in how you secured and supervised the use of the BB gun--that is, if your carelessness in allowing it into the hands of some other child is what led to the shooting. Of course, even if you may be liable, the neighbors can only recover an amount commensurate with their child's injuries and medical costs, so if he is basically unhurt, there's nothing really they can sue for.

You should notify your homeowner's insurance of this--they may well resolve it for you, and if it turns out this is a valid claim, a failure to notify them in a timely manner could result in you losing your coverage. So provide them the notice.

You can ask for a copy of the police report--it's a public document. Contact the police to see what they need; they may simply give you a copy, since you are involved, or they may require you to submit a formal request under an open records or freedom of information law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption