If two parents agree on the needs of their children can it be undone?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If two parents agree on the needs of their children can it be undone?

Soon to be ex wife wrote up a document before leaving. In this document it stated the oldest child would stay with mefather and the two other children would go with there mother. She also stated that no child support would be given only help when needed. I have paid for all 3 children’s school supplies and clothes. She is now stating that she doesn’t want to go along with that agreement even though we have been doing it for over a year now.

Asked on March 27, 2018 under Family Law, Louisiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Please take the document to an attorney who needs to review it in light of the law in your state that deal with Stipulation of Settlements and Child Custody agreements.  I it qualifies as a Child Custody agreement then the laws that permit a change would then kick in, which could make it harder to change (the burden would be upon her).  Also, the age of the children matters since the court can ask their wishes as well. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption