If there’s a mistake on your juvenile record, can the record be expunged?

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If there’s a mistake on your juvenile record, can the record be expunged?

When I was 16, I was involved in a motor vehicle accident in which I was ticketed for. On the court date I was offered a plea deal in which I was required to attend an Alive at 25 class and be on 6 months of driving probation. Upon completion it was supposed to be completely expunged from my record. Today I went to pull my record from the courthouse and it was still there. Apparently, driving citations do not qualify for record sealing. I noticed on the listing of my information there was a mistake listing me as a male when I’m clearly not. Would this court error qualify to dump the record?

Asked on August 7, 2012 under Criminal Law, Colorado


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

A clerical error such as this will not allow for a dismissal or expungement of the criminal conviction. Unfortunately, convictions taken under the motor vehicle code in Michigan cannot be expunged or sealed from the public, which means the conviction will remain.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption