If there is no legal agreement, can I be charged for damages that happend in a company van during a job?

UPDATED: May 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If there is no legal agreement, can I be charged for damages that happend in a company van during a job?

I backed into a mail box while driving a company van that has graphics on the back window so you cant see anything! My boss say’s its being taken out of my check. Is there anything I can do? There is no written agreement.

Asked on May 16, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Even in the absence of a written agreement, an employer can look to hold an employee liable for damage or losses that employee causes through negligence (or carelessness)--like backing into a mailbox. The law does not require the employer to absorb the cost, or insulate employees from liabiltiy.

However, the employer may NOT take money out of your paycheck withhout your consent; that is illegal, and if the employer does this, you could potentially sue or possibly  file a complaint with your state department of labor. Employers can only withhold money from paychecks with employee agreement/consent, or for reasons specifically mandated by law (e.g. FICA; a court-ordered wage garnishment). If the employer believes you owe it money and you do not pay, its recourse is to sue you for the money and prove its case in court.

Note however that unless you have an employment contract protecting your employment, your employer may termiante you for this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption