If there is a pluming problem in my apartment which results in my having to move, does my landlord have to pay for mefor themove?

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If there is a pluming problem in my apartment which results in my having to move, does my landlord have to pay for mefor themove?

I live in an upper flat and the floor is sinking into the middles of the apartment which is where all the pluming is. I found out today that it is drooping into the downstairs neighbor apartment and leaking through the floor. If the floor has to be replace does the landlord have to pay for me to move?

Asked on January 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Regardless of whether or not you can get them you should ask for them.  Your apartment appears to be uninhabitable under the law and therefore your landlord has breached the Warranty of Habitability.  That allows you certain options, which could include breaking your lease and moving. Landlords are generally given the oportunity by Judges to correct the problems that have come up and tenants can pay their rent in to court until the repairs are made and ask for an abatement (reduction) of the rent.  Your landlord may be required to put you up during this time of work if you can not live in the apartment.  If the repair an not be made after attempts have been had then you can as to be let out of your lease.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption