If there is a mistake on a purchase and sales agreement is it void?

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If there is a mistake on a purchase and sales agreement is it void?

On this purchase and sales agreement it says located in Harris county. But my house is not located in Harris county its located in Jefferson county. A mistake of fact.

Asked on March 8, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, that kind of mistake will not void or invalidate an agreement. Contracts are still enforceable despite typos; they are only voided for material, or important, mistakes that show that the two parties were not actually in agreement as to the terms. But in a case like this, there is no reasonable doubt as to the identity or location of the house that is being sold; clearly, the misnamed county is basically just a typo or cut-and-paste error and will not affect the contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption