If the timeshare company didn’t fulfill the contract how do I get out of it?

UPDATED: Mar 11, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 11, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the timeshare company didn’t fulfill the contract how do I get out of it?

My wife and I purchased a timeshare
back in June 2015. In the contract it
states that our property is deeded. We
never received a deed and our on-line
account states that the property is not
deeded. Would this allow us a way out
of the contract?

Asked on March 11, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

d on what you write, this appears to be a material (or important) breach of contract which would allow you to treat it as terminated--or even, if it is determined that the company knowingly lied from the beginning (such as about the deed), to rescind the contract (treat it as void from the beginning, due to fraud). You may also be able to get any payments you've made back.
If the company will not voluntarily let you out of the agreement, even if you inform them you will take legal action if necessary, you could sue them seeking both a declaratory judgment (a court determination) that the contract is terminated or was void, and also compensation in the form of the return of all payments you have made for something you never received. You would have to sue in regular county court, not small claims court; small claims cannot give a declaratory judgment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption