If the police question but you don’t sign a statement, is it admissible in court?

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the police question but you don’t sign a statement, is it admissible in court?

Asked on January 19, 2014 under Criminal Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You didn't give much by way of details. If you were not in police custody, then anything that you said may be used against you. However, if you were in custody and questioned, then you should have been given the Miranda warning (i.e. read your rights) prior to questioning. If not, and you were interrogated any way, then your statements will be inadmissable in court.

Note: If you were questioned about booking matters (i.e. your name, address, etc.), then you need not have been read your rights. Also, if you waived your rights, then your statements can be used against you.

Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Of course it uis admissible.  Anything thatyou say to an officer can be presented in court. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption