If the normal custom at my job was taking cash against your paycheck to be repaid can you still be charged with theft?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the normal custom at my job was taking cash against your paycheck to be repaid can you still be charged with theft?

Several employees at my current job has taking money out of the till to replace it later with their paycheck I did the same thing and was in trouble for stealing now since this date the owner has replaced the money from my paycheck but still now wants to press charges can I still be charged with larceny or any type of theft. I have done it in the past and so has everyone else but this time he is holding a grudge it seems.

Asked on September 28, 2017 under Criminal Law, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can be charged with larceny because larceny is the felonious taking and carrying away of the personal property of another with the intent to convert it to the taker's use.
Taking the money from the till which belonged to the owner with the intent to convert it to your use constitutes larceny.  The act has occurred and it is irrelevant that the owner replaced the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption