If a mother doesn’t work does that affect the child support?

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a mother doesn’t work does that affect the child support?

The mother has the kids 5 days a week and the father has them 2 days. He pays full child support, but the mother no longer works and depends solely on the father’s child support. Does this affect the amount the father pays?

Asked on January 23, 2011 under Family Law, Montana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Here is the general rule as to child support that is pretty standard n every state: the guidelines used take in to account the following factors to determine child support:

  • How much you earn
  • How much your ex earns
  • How many children you have; and
  • What percentage of time the children are under each parent's care and control
  • It does not take in to account your rent, the dance lessons, the fee for baseball - none of that.  It may take in to account how much you pay in child care if you work full time when you have the kids.  So the answer here is yes, the Father will pay more of the support - probably all of the support - if the wife has the kids 5 days full time and if she no longer works to care for the kids.  Seek legal consultation in your area for specifics.  Good luck to you. 

    IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

    Get Legal Help Today

    Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

    secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption