Ifmy landlord made an error in the amount of rent that I should be paying, do they have to honor it?

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Ifmy landlord made an error in the amount of rent that I should be paying, do they have to honor it?

I was notified my rent option would be to sign a 6 month lease at $735 or I could pay $655 and stay month-to-month. I paid rent on time at the $655 amount. The landlord now says they put the wrong month-to-month amount on my lease; it should be $755. They are demanding I pay $80 more and sign a 6 month lease or $100 more to meet the new month-to-month amount and are threatening to charge me a late fee if I don’t paid today. What rights do I have here?

Asked on June 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, South Dakota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Retroactively, the landlord cannot do anything--whether or not this was the  agreement the landlord wanted, it is the one the landlord wanted, and the landlord must honor it.

Going forward, when it is time for the current lease term to expire and be renewed, the landlord may make changes, such as increasing the rent; you don't have to accept those changes, but if you don't, you'll need to leave, since you will have rejected the terms of rental.

If you are on  a month to month lease, that means that each lease "term" is effectively only one month. That in turn means that with 1 month's notice, the landlord can alter the terms of the lease, such as by increasing the rent. So it appears that if you get 1 month's notic,e the landlord can increase the rent--or refuse to rent month to month entirely, and require you sign a lease.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption