If the house I’m living in is condemned, does my landlord have to pay for my relocation?

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the house I’m living in is condemned, does my landlord have to pay for my relocation?

I am $540 behind on rent but my landlord never informed me of where my security deposit was being held. I also have a lease that wasn’t signed by either of us. My neighbor called code enforcement and I know the house will be condemned. Will the landlord be responsible for paying for my relocation costs?

Asked on August 28, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you have no written lease for the unit you are occupying, under the laws of all states in this country it is presumed that you are on a month-to-month lease. If the unit you are living in is deemed unsafe for human habitation by a governmental entity and condemned, your landlord under the law has no legal obligation to pay for your location to another unit. The landlord can simply give you a notice of termination of the lease now.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption