If the date on my ticket is wrong is that ticket void?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the date on my ticket is wrong is that ticket void?

I received a speeding ticket in December of 2017 while leaving Mammoth Inyo
County, California. The ticket date at the top of the ticket was written as 12-
17-18, which obviously hasn’t happened yet. If they believe that the date was
intended to be 12-18-17, I have proof that I was in Denver, CO that day, from
purchases with my debit card and an Uber receipt. Would this be cause for ticket
dismissal? Or, will they just claim it is a clerical error and proceed with the

Asked on February 20, 2018 under General Practice, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No it is not. I'm afraid it doesn't work this way. The fact is that for a minor clerical error such as this, the court will simply amend the ticket and correct the time. Your case will not be dismissed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption