Ifa contractor is overcharging me, amI obliged to pay?

UPDATED: Feb 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Ifa contractor is overcharging me, amI obliged to pay?

I hired a contractor to tile 70 sq. ft. of floor space in our bathroom and laundry room. Before he did the job I asked him for an estimate and let him know that the subfloor around the toilet was sinking and would probably need to be replaced. He gave me an estimate for everything – $275 labor cost. When I called their office to pay for it, they told me that I owe them $650. What should I do? By law, am I obliged to pay the $650 or just the $250? We don’t have any written agreement. I haven’t signed anything.I still have his voicemail on the original quote he gave me.

Asked on February 29, 2012 under Business Law, North Carolina


Richard Goolsby / Goolsby Law Firm LLC

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

We recommend that you consult with an attorney in your area, but for a person in this situation in our state, we would generally recommend that paying the bill would be less costly than going to court.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption