If my case status reads, ” Disposed – Probation,” does that mean I was not convicted?

UPDATED: May 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my case status reads, ” Disposed – Probation,” does that mean I was not convicted?

I was arrested 4 years ago for felony possession and took 6 months probation with an hold of adjudication. Was this a conviction because I can type in my name and see my picture and why I was arrested?

Asked on May 23, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

An arrest record and a conviction are two separate matters. It appears that you were on a delayed sentence, which meant that if you successfully completed the terms and conditions of your six month probation, the case would have been dismissed. Because you were arrested and possibly fingerprinted/mugshot, you still have an arrest record. In most states you are allowed to have your arrest record removed if your criminal case was dismissed and you meet the criteria to have your arrest record destroyed. Speak with a criminal defense attorney in your area to see if you qualify to have your arrest record destroyed, which in turn will remove your information from the arrest database.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption