If someone puts a protective order on a person and it’s violated what happens?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone puts a protective order on a person and it’s violated what happens?

And what if the person who put the protective order moves back in with the person who they put protective order on without dropping the protective order?

Asked on February 14, 2014 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

  • Once a victim applies for a restraining order and it is granted by a judge, the relationship between plaintiff and defendant becomes a court matter. This means that while the court will consider plaintiff testimony if she requests a repeal, it will not be automatically granted


  • The plaintiff may not authorize the defendant to violate any part of the restraining order. Only the court has that authority. 


  • If a defendant is caught violating a restraining order, he can be immediately arrested by the police.


  • The punishment for violating a restraining order varies by state. First-time, non-aggravated violations can carry fines of up to $5,000 and a year in jail. Subsequent, violent, or interstate violations carry increasingly extreme punishments.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption