If someone posts untrue things about you on Facebook can you sue?

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone posts untrue things about you on Facebook can you sue?

Things that effect my life and relationships?

Asked on October 15, 2012 under Personal Injury, South Carolina


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Defamation claims are difficult claims to pursue and prevail in.  They require that you show four things:  1)  a person said or wrote something about you that was untrue, 2) the untrue statement was "published" meaning heard or read by a third party, 3) that the person knew the untrue statement was false when they made it and 4) that you suffered significant economic harm as a direct result of the untrue statement and nothing else.  The burden is on you to prove all of these elements and the last two prongs are difficult to prove.   In addition, you have to consider whether or not, even if you prevailed in court, does the person who made the untrue statements have the ability to compensate you?  Bringing a lawsuit against someone is a difficult, time consuming and expensive process.  You could very well end up spending a great deal of time and money and getting nothing in return.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption