Ifsomeone leaves property at my home, how long amI legally required to keep it?

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Ifsomeone leaves property at my home, how long amI legally required to keep it?

Clothes, shoes, baseball card collection, ID, SS card, etc.

Asked on December 29, 2010 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Answering this question really depends on knowing what the facts and circumstances were surrounding the leaving of the property there in the first place.  Generally speaking if the property was left in your possession in a bailment situation then doing anything against the ownership interest of the property owner could be considered conversion and you could get in to very deep trouble for that.  If the property was left there as part of a tenancy situation then you have to make sure that the proper steps for eviction are taken and notice if given as to the property. If it is a storage issue for money then that will take on a different result.  But notice is key in all the scenarios. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption