If someone is receiving shared expenses, can theyalso claim child support or is it one or the other?

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone is receiving shared expenses, can theyalso claim child support or is it one or the other?

I am recently divorced. My ex and I have joint custody of our 3 kids; we have shared expenses. He has recently filed for child support and is claiming that he can have both shared expenses and child support.

Asked on March 5, 2012 under Family Law, Alaska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if some one is receiving or having shared expenses with respect to expenses of a minor in a situation where both parents are not living together, one or the other can also seek child support from the other. The county in the state where the child support matter originates sets monthly child support rates as a guideline to be imposed by the judge hearing the particular dispute.

I recommend that you consult with a family law attorney further about the situation that you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption