if someone is convicted for **** possession in a prison in Wilsbury, Scranton county, Pa?. Can he do house arrest in Montgomery county, Pa?

UPDATED: May 3, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 3, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

if someone is convicted for **** possession in a prison in Wilsbury, Scranton county, Pa?. Can he do house arrest in Montgomery county, Pa?

My son-in-law is in Lakawanna prison in Scranton, Pa. for **** possession. He was sentenced to 3 months in prison and 3 months house arrest. He is being told he cannot do his house arrest at home because of tracking device. He has 2 small children and my daughter is concerned that he will be away for 6 months. He is being detained in Wilbury, Pa and lives in Montgomery county. Thank you for any information you can give us on this matter.

Asked on May 3, 2009 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm not quite sure how the authorities in Scranton County plan to have your son under house arrest there, if he has no place there to live.  And I would be very surprised if Montgomery County does not have the ability to monitor him on a tracking device there.  But the worst case here is that he might have to do the whole six months in jail.

I don't know if there is anything in the law to prevent Scranton County from allowing his house arrest to be transferred to Montgomery County, or not.  If it's possible, it would probably involve some extra paperwork for the court officials, and Scranton County would probably have to pay Montgomery County for the cost.  So it might just be a question of the people not wanting to be bothered by the red tape.  On the other hand, it might simply not be possible.

You are much more likely to get cooperation from the court officials if you have an attorney on your side.  If you need to find a lawyer, you can do that at http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption