If someone hits my parked car and it no longer works, can I sell it to a junk yard and still sue?

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone hits my parked car and it no longer works, can I sell it to a junk yard and still sue?

Asked on August 3, 2013 under Accident Law, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can sell your car and sue the person who hit your car for negligence.  Your damages (the amount of compensation you are  seeking in your lawsuit) would be the value of the car.

If the person who hit your car had insurance, you could file a property damage claim with their insurance company for the cost of repairs.  If the person who hit your car did not have insurance and you had uninsured motorist coverage on your auto insurance policy, you can file an uninsured motorist claim through your company for the property damage (cost of repairs to your car).

If the property damage is not settled, (you can reject the settlement offers from the insurance carrier) and sue the at-fault party for negligence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption